All Moved In

Apologies for the delay between posts.  In the past two weeks or so, Southern Honey and I have been pretty busy.

We closed on the house right on time and got all moved in as planned.  The movers did good jobs on both ends, packing (repacking a lot of stuff that we had never unpacked when we moved into the last apartment) and unpacking at the new house.  Move-in day was fantastic: We got out to the house early and met one of the neighbors.  As we were talking with her, two massive moving trucks arrived, along with a huge pickup truck.  All wanting into our little driveway.  It was the movers, the appliance guys, and the electric company guy come to read our meter, respectively, all crowded down a small length of asphalt.

Southern Honey and I also went to the Humane Society and picked out two fantastic kittens, Lucius and Titus, to adorn the new house.  We knew that they were sick when we brought them home, but the vet had given them antibiotics that we hoped would take care of the sneezing, runny noses and gummy eyes.

We really fixed the place up for them: bought them toys, set them up with food and beverages in the second bathroom, and spent last Saturday building them a custom cat tree to play on.

Unfortunately, on Thursday we had to take them both back to the shelter to see the vet.  What was thought to be bacterial was actually viral, and the little guys just didn’t have the immune systems or physical reserves (they both weighed less than two and a half pounds) to fight it off.  We just couldn’t keep them suffering.  We sat with both of them one last time and said goodbye.

Now the house is empty again, but we’re planning on trying to adopt more soon.  We have to disinfect most of the house and their stuff as much as possible to eliminate any of the virus that might be hanging around.  And we both need some time to deal with having had to let them go so soon.

In happier news, we had our first overnight guests last night.  Southern Honey’s best friend and his wife came to deliver our massive TV and hang out.  It was really great — we hadn’t had a chance to spend a lot of time with them since they got married last year because we’ve been so far apart.  We’re all looking forward to getting to see more of each other from here on out!

I also love my new job.  For the first time, I really feel as though what I do makes a difference, and it makes me really happy.

I’ll probably be changing the name of the blog soon.  New Town is really not of the same caliber in terms of size as DC, so I’m not sure that this will qualify as Big City Life anymore.  The focus will probably change toward being first-time homeowners and potential future parents, I’m thinking.  If anyone has any suggestions, I’m open to them.

About SouthernSugar

A Southern girl who's used to small town life, I found myself moving to Washington, DC, in 2008 for a new job, and living there was an eye-o
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s