Date Day

Date Day (the replacement for our cancelled Date Night) was a success, I think.  At any rate, it wasn’t a horrible failure.  *laughs*

The Expectant Parent Fair was interesting, although the one thing I was really looking forward to — touring the Labor & Delivery/Maternity areas — wasn’t possible.  I can’t get too upset, though, since it was rendered impossible by the fact that the ward was full of women having babies.  😀  We did get to talk to a nursery nurse and a L&D nurse about how they handle the whole process (no more than three people with the mom-to-be in L&D at any one time, hooray!, an hour of “Skin-to-skin” for mom and baby immediately after birth, private rooms, a general policy of holding moms 48 hours following vaginal delivery and 72 hours for C-sections).

It was a bit weird to be wandering around with so many women so obviously pregnant when I’m so obviously… not.  In fact, the ultrasound nurse asked me how far along I was because I “don’t look pregnant.”  It made me try to avoid signing up for a lot of the giveaways, actually, because I didn’t want to risk winning something that the other women could use a LOT sooner than we’ll be able to.

One thing we both noticed: There are tons of resources for pregnant women and for moms (lots of moms’ groups, even), but really not much at all for their husbands, the new dads.  In fact, one group seemed to be exclusively for stay-at-home-moms, geared toward organizing outings for them with their babies during the days.  Since I’m going to be going back to work once my mat leave is up and Southern Honey will be working, too, we skipped right over that booth.  Although not before he quasi-indignantly asked me under his breath where the dads’ booth was.

In the end, we snagged a giant bag full of swag, including a large number of pamphlets and business cards.  Heck, one of the formula manufacturers was giving out samples of their product.  I have no idea what I’m supposed to do with that.

After we managed to wriggle our way out of the crush at the fair, we dropped in at Logan’s Roadhouse for a late lunch/early dinner.  Yum!  Our server totally went above and beyond keeping us stocked with rolls and drinks — I don’t know what Southern Honey ended up tipping him, but I know it was good to make up for the fact that we ended up splitting a meal.

Then it was onward to see “Clash of the Titans.”  Neither theatre had it in 3-D (actually, only one of them was showing it at all), and it was in a small theater room, but it was still a fun experience.  Now, I’m pretty far removed from the days when I was on top of my Greek mythology (Holy cow, it’s been seven years since I graduated from high school!  Where did the time go?!), but I still feel pretty confident in saying that they took some pretty severe liberties with the Perseus myth.  I didn’t particularly mind — the movie was quite entertaining — but I walked out going, “I’m pretty sure that’s not how the story actually goes.”

The graphics were well-done overall.  I did feel like Medusa was overdone, though.  She was so clearly not real that it kind of irked me.  The fight scene was great, but I kept getting distracted by the fact that she looked like a computer construct rather than a living, breathing being.  But I guess nothing’s perfect.

We also made a stop by WalMart for some groceries and supplies.  We bought a sewing machine this week at Hancock Fabric so I can make some curtains — Southern Honey goes on third shift Tuesday night — so we went hunting for fabric and thread.  Didn’t find anything tonight, but I’m still keeping an eye out.  I have to take the machine back this week, though, so I’m in no big hurry (We bought a cheap little one that was on sale, but at the checkout we got a flyer for next week’s sale; the machine I really wanted goes on sale for not quite twice as much as the cheap one come Friday.  So I’m going to swap them out when I go back — and I’ll still clock in well under $100 for it.).

The funny thing about Southern Honey going to third shift is that it won’t change much of anything for us.  We’ll be on different sleep schedules, but we’ll still be spending most of the same number of waking hours together.  He’ll be going to bed as I’m leaving for work and getting up when I come home, so we’ll have the same amount of time after I get home and before I go to bed that we normally would.  It’s just that when I hit the sack, he’ll be headed into town.  And weekends won’t mesh as well since he’ll be working Saturday nights (his weekend will be Sunday-Monday), so we’ll only get a full day together on Sunday.  But aside from that?  I don’t think it will be too bad.

I will miss getting to fall asleep next to him, though.  That’s not going to happen again for … I don’t even know how long.

About SouthernSugar

A Southern girl who's used to small town life, I found myself moving to Washington, DC, in 2008 for a new job, and living there was an eye-o
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Date Day

  1. Mary says:

    You know, that’s the one thing that drives me the most crazy about my fiancé being gone, when he is. I don’t like not seeing him if he has to go out of town without me, but I can handle that. What I have a super hard time with is going to sleep when I know he’s not there. We don’t always go to sleep at the same time (since my schedule is more rigid than his, usually), so I can fall asleep without him in the bed…but it’s hard when he’s not even in the house.

    I always end up putting bed off far longer than I should when he’s not home, because I guess my subconscious just really doesn’t like the idea of trying to sleep without him.

    I’m glad you enjoyed your date day, though. Your post from before actually inspired me to try to go on something akin to a date with my fiancé last night – it was just dinner, but sometimes it’s nice to consciously decide to focus on each other a bit more than usual.

    • SouthernSugar says:

      If I’ve inspired more couple-time, then my job here is done. 😀 I think that all too often, we end up getting comfortable and in something of a rut, and we don’t spend time on ourselves as a couple. I mean, I’ve spent a hefty portion of the evening on the computer while Southern Honey has played around with his Magic cards. Not really a whole lot of conversation, just hanging out in the same room.

      I do the same thing you do when he’s not here — I should have gone to bed last night around 10 or 10:30, but I didn’t crash out until about 11.

      • Mary says:

        There’s definitely a time and a place for having parallel activities in the same room – I actually really like that doing stuff like that with my fiancé still counts towards my daily quota of “alone” time.

        But you’re right that it’s way too easy to get stuck in a rut that way. It’s definitely a good idea to actually pay attention to each other every now and again.

        Sometimes, the easiest way we manage that is by actually sitting down and eating dinner at an actual table together. Sadly, we don’t do that more than a couple times a week. 🙂

      • SouthernSugar says:

        That’s one of the good things about him being on nights — we’re going to be home together for dinners every night of the week. Usually we eat in the living room, but I think that taking the time to set the dining room table and eat there would be a good idea. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s